Friday, October 08, 2004

I, Robot

I really thought that I was going to be more offended by this movie than I was. To start, this movie bears little more than a passing resemblance to the orriginal novel, and I found it curious that the crdits at the end use the phrase "suggested by Isaac Asimov's book" instead of the typical "based on" or "inspired by." Part way throught he movie I reviseted one of my orriginal hypotheses about this movie that it'd be better called by a different name, but that poses two problems. If you remove the Asimov connection you have to alter the three laws in some ways to prevent being cited for plagarism, a difficult task seeing as Asimov devoted his life to these kinds of theories. It would be a monumental task to come up with a comprable set of rules. Second problem is that the name "I, Robot" is just so cool. I tried to think up a different name for the movie that would be equally applicable and still sound good, but "Sonny" was the only one I could come up with, and it's not as cool, it just isn't. With these taken into mind it becomes very easy to disconnect from Asimov's work and just accept what's going on on screen.

Total: 122

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home