Tuesday, October 05, 2004

The Empire Strikes Back

The first thing that I noticed about this new version (which may have been in the standard Special Edition) is that C-3P0 has a whirring, servomotor noise added to his motions. I found it immensely distracting at first, just because I kept listening to see if I was hearing correctly. I suppose it's not a bad touch, just noticable becauseI'm not used to it being there.
This is still my favorite Star Wars movie, largely for the lighsabre duel at the end. I still hold firm that the Cloud City duel between Vader and Luke is the best of them all, because of the tension involved. Vader knows who Luke is, but Luke fights believing that this is the man who murdered his father. Luke pours in all his energy and focus, fighting like he's never fought before (though he honestly doesn't have much experience) and Vader still manages to waste him through much of the battle using only one hand. That touch is quite significant in itself because George Lucas was very adamant during the production of the movies that Lightsabreas are very powerful and difficult to weild, that the force of them hitting requires two hands to keep it under control. Luke uses this two-handed fighting style. Vader keeps one hand under his cloak.

Total: 120

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home