Sunday, September 19, 2004

28 Days Later

A zombie movie that's not fully a zombie movie. Why? The people aren't dead yet.
I really, really enjoyed this movie. It's rich with texture, symbolism, meaning, character, emotion, and heart. It is also genuinly creepy. The roots I found most obvious would be in John Wyndham's Day of the Triffids, as others have thankfully pointed out (I'm glad I'm not alone.) The scenes of Jim walking around deserted London bring back feelings of when I first saw Quiet Earth. My favorite scene of the movie would have to be when the initial trio is walking to Jim's house as an a capella version of the old English hymn "Abide With Me!" is played.
I had a lot more that I wanted to say about the character development, Jim's empowerment transformation at the end, and such, but I can't seem to find words right now.

Total: 109

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home