Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Moulin Rouge

The first exposure that I had to this movie was the music video for Lady Marmalade where a dozen celebrity skanks got even more skank than normal and did their skanky thing on screen. I wouldn't say I vowed to never see the movie, but I definitely decided it wasn't on my list. Until a bunch of friends of mine, who had actually seen the movie, invited me to go. So I went and loved it. It really is a great movie. Baz Luhrman is a nut-case of the highest order, and his storytelling techniques can easily be considered presumptuous, indulgent, audacious, and pretentious to the highest degree if you don't concede the point that they work and are delightfully entertaining. Heck, I do concede that point, and I still can admit that the "Like a Virgin" scene is unbelievably indulgent. It's just very hard to hold that against the movie when you like it so dang much.

Total: 79

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't just you and I see that? I definitely saw it twice in theatres, I just assumed one of them was with you.

-B

July 27, 2004 at 11:31 PM  
Blogger LFK said...

Yah, it was you and I that went and saw the movie, but it was you, Lori, Maggie, Tim, and Carrie that told me it was good and I should go see it. So I guess more acurately a bunch of friends told me to go see it, but I went with just you.

July 28, 2004 at 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home